Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mother's Day!!! May 4, 2010



All the Gringos that helped translate


Doctor Larson


Volcanoe behind Nick's house

Hey guys!

Well this week was really busy! We had the multi zone on Tuesday, which went pretty well, nothing too exciting. I didn’t really see anybody that I know, but I got to know a lot of Elders that I didn’t before which is always good. Including that Elder Brummond that you know mom! way cool guy. I got the package! LOVED it. Thanks so much I can’t believe you sent me that many CDs I was way excited. That Showtime CD especially is way good I love it. Way good idea with the honey and peanut butter too! I haven’t been able to have anything like that here and it tastes sooo good! Reminds me of home.

So then on Thursday all the gringos in the zone slept over at My zone leaders which way awsome!! I felt super weird not bein in the presence of a latino, haha first time that has happened in like four months. The next morning we got up early do go to that translating thing that I told you about. It wasn’t what we thought it was going to be, instead there were doctors there from the US and Canada giving free eye exams and giving glasses so we translated for that. It was actually way fun and way eye opening (no pun intended ha-ha). Pretty much half of El Salvador is walking around almost blind I swear. I saw some of the biggest cataracts you could ever imagine! I was with this one doctor the whole time ( 8 straight hours) helping him. I referred at least 50 for surgery because their eyes were so bad it couldn’t just be fixed with surgery. But the surgery is free for them, which is way cool. They still are way skeptical about getting surgery so each time I had to pretty much convince them that it was the best thing too do. Man we are way lucky to have good medical care at the moment we need it! It was way sad. I had to tell one lady that she needed surgery and she started crying saying that she can’t see out of one eye at all and the other eye just barely.. she said she is terrified that she is going to go completely blind and not be able to work. I have never felt so bad the whole time here in my mission! So I hope that she gets the surgery and it all works out for her. But yeah I pretty much just did that the whole day and it actually kind of sparked a little interest for me in the field of optometry.. (ophthalmology) what do you think? I think it’s all pretty coo l!

Get this, one of the main guys that were there lives in Layton and knows Mike! Ask him if he knows a doctor Larsen.. I also have a picture with him that I will send.

Well no news about changing houses or anything, I didn’t have time at all to try and make it happen. So maybe next week! So guess what? I went on divisions with Elder Street on Wednesday ha-ha how crazy is that? I never would have thought in the MTC that I would actually be companions with him in the field for a day.

Well guys I'm way excited to talk to you on Sunday it is going to be awesome!! Everybody should write down some questions that you want to ask or things that you want to say so you don’t forget. Talk to you in 6 days! yaaaay!

Love nick

No comments:

Post a Comment